FAMILY & PETS SAFE DURING EMERGENCIES by SDGE
KEEP YOUR FAMILY AND PETS SAFE DURING EMERGENCIES BY BEING PREPARED
During an emergency, every second counts. Thoughtful planning can help keep you safe and reduce the stress of having to scramble for what you need most. Prepare an emergency kit to help safeguard yourself and your loved ones from unexpected emergencies like earthquakes, floods or fires. Don’t forget to outline a family plan and practice safety drills before the need arises.
Being prepared means having food, water and supplies to last for at least 3 days. An emergency kit is a collection of basic items your family may need. Since you don’t know when a disaster will occur, prepare an emergency kit for your home, work and your vehicle.
Here are some items to consider adding to your emergency kit.
1. Non-perishable food; nutrition bars, tuna (don’t forget the can opener,) peanut butter, crackers
2. Water – one gallon of water per person per day for drinking and sanitation
3. First aid supplies
4. Change of clothes including a jacket, durable gloves and sturdy shoes to provide protection from broken glass and other debris
5. Rope for towing or rescue
6. Plastic sheeting and tape
7. Moist towelettes, trash bags
8. Cell phone and charger
9. Important family documents such as passports
10. Knife, screwdriver and other basic tools
11. Candles and waterproof matches
12. Food for pets, bowls, pet carriers
13. Recreational supplies like games or books for children and adults
14. Blankets or sleeping bags
15. Portable radio, flashlight and extra batteries
16. Essential medications and eyeglasses
Know how to manually open your garage door for easier access out of your home. Be sure to update your contact information with SDG&E. Visit sdge.com/myaccount and choose “manage my account.” You can also sign up for alerts like outage notifications at sdge.com/alerts. Find a host of emergency checklists for home and work on sdge.com/checklist.
Another way of feeling SAFE is owning your own home and never wondering if you will get a notice to move out. CALL TODAY to learn about home ownership.
Full Time Realtor, Agent Josie Sarullo